One man's quest to watch the top 1001 movies of all time.

Sunday 22 January 2012

I Know Why I Hate This Movie

Film: I Know Where I'm Going
Year: 1945
Where I Saw It: Netflix

Time to reveal how I write these things.  First I watch the movie then I try to guess why it was put in the top 1001 movies of all time.  I then read what the book says to see if what I guessed was right and to gain new insight into the film.  Finally, I write my new post.  So far, all the movies I have watched in this book have been great.  Some are better than others but there has always been some aspect of these films which I have enjoyed.

I'll be frank.  I hated this film.  I was bored watching it and it was almost a chore- scratch that- it was a chore finishing it.  After it was done I couldn't for the life of me figure out why this movie was in the book.  Then I read what the book had to say and knew why I hated it so much.  This movie is the granddaddy of all romantic comedies.  Now there are romantic comedies I like, but they have to be well written and use plots which aren't contrived.  The dialogue must be honest and not forced with bad jokes or embarrassing situations.  This film is the godfather of the terrible romantic comedy formula.

What is that formula?  Take two big named actors, place them in a weird scenario, have them like each other, hate each other, then like each other again and finally throw in a "kookie" best friend.  Add montages to taste.  The actors are Wendy Hiller and Roger Livesey, the weird scenario is they are stuck in Scotland.  They like each other, then hate each other, and finally love each other and the weird best friend is a guy who trains falcons.  The montage count was four.  Watch this movie if you want to feel sad about how this film was made almost seventy years ago and we're still using the same sad plot devices.

One Last Point - There was one neat point.  This was the first film where Scots weren't depicted as drunken slobs.

Thanks for reading! - Scott Scene

1 comment:

  1. Stuck in Scotland...?

    So these are the bastards that started Romantic comedies eh?

    ReplyDelete